Heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) are all a necessity in any building. Without indoor climate control, schools and businesses can’t run and homes would be miserably uncomfortable. Installation, repair, and maintenance of HVAC systems require a deep level of training and expertise, and that training needs to be updated on an ongoing basis as the technology keeps moving ahead.
That’s where HVAC online training companies, like Interplay Learning, really shine. Interplay Learning specializes in skilled trades training, but is completely online – making it easy for anyone looking to master the craft to learn effectively, from anywhere.
Why Interplay Learning is Unique
What makes Interplay Learning’s training methods so effective is that they’ve done away with the traditional classroom and workbook-style environment. Instead, their HVAC training simulations are completely digital, with the use of videos, interactional exercises, virtual reality (VR), and 3D simulations. This next-generation approach gives learning technicians the hands-on experience they need to be successful in the field.
Interplay Learning offers online HVAC training that can take a prospective tech from the very basics all the way through advanced knowledge and certification. Additionally, , it truly is a one-stop shop.
Online HVAC Training Basics
For technician’s just starting their career in HVAC, training on the most basic concepts will be essential. Interplay Learning’s online HVAC technician training courses can educate a technician on the very basic principles of air conditioning and help them get familiar with the fundamentals of how HVAC systems work. These beginner training courses, like HVAC Training 101, take a deep dive into common topics, such as:
- Compressors – Explores the important process of compression/expansion and evaporation/condensation.
- Evaporator/Condensers – Looks at the functionality of both evaporators and condensers, and how they are different from one another.
- Metering Devices – Focuses on thermostatic expansion valves, the concept of superheating, and other valves in a system.
Each course is set up with a series of several HVAC training videos, as well as multiple-choice quizzes and other resources to test and enhance knowledge. For those that have basic HVAC knowledge already, Interplay Learning also offers intermediate courses.
Intermediate HVAC Online Training
As part of Interplay Learning’s step-by-step HVAC training approach, some intermediate courses include:
- Thermostats and Heating Controls – Explores the various designs of controls and tips on troubleshooting thermostat problems.
- Symbols and Wiring Diagrams – Learn the standards of electrical schematics and the differences between manufacturers’ styles of diagrams.
- HVAC Motors – Information on shaded pole motors, split-phase, and three-phase designs. A separate course covers common troubleshooting situations for electrical motors in HVAC applications.
- Compressor Starting Relays and Capacitors – How to start and run different capacitors and learn current relays, thermistor relays, solid-state relays.
Looking to take you or your team’s HVAC knowledge to the next level? Interplay Learning also has advanced online training courses as well.
Advanced HVAC Training Online
Once a prospective technician has a good understanding of principles, applications, tools of the trade and safety concerns, it’s time to move on to the more advanced HVAC training courses. Some of these expert topics include:
- Diagnosing A/C Systems – Introduces students to new terminology and concepts while helping them learn how to troubleshoot residential HVAC problems.
- Gas Boiler Troubleshooting: 3D/VR Sim – Uses virtual reality (VR) and 3D simulation tools to walk a student through various problems with these specialized units. A student will get exposure to individual fault scenarios, then in ‘challenge’ mode the faults will be randomized to encourage problem-solving and diagnosis skills.
- Heat Pump Troubleshooting (Residential)/ 3D/VR Sim – Includes 24 training and challenge simulations, with 22 how-to videos and 25 quizzes to push students and sharpen their skills and knowledge when dealing with repairing or maintaining heat pumps.
The Importance of 3D Simulations and Virtual Reality (VR) in HVAC Training
In addition to online videos and digital HVAC training courses, Interplay Learning offers immersive 3D and on-the-job simulations, and for good reason. 3D and simulation training helps develop a technician’s problem-solving skills in ways that classroom training and books just can’t do.
Put simply, a virtual reality (VR) course can put technicians into similar scenarios they will be faced with in the field. It’s about as close to hands-on experience as you can get without actually handling the equipment. For instance, the advanced level course on troubleshooting a gas furnace takes a student through potential problems with components of a standard residential system, as well as signs of a faulty pressure switch or flame sensor.
The courses are all compiled and taught by senior techs who bring years of experience and expertise in the field and don’t skip over simple solutions such as a dirty filter.
Ongoing, Online HVAC Training with Interplay Learning
Things are moving quickly in the HVAC field, with advances happening all the time. Movement-activated air conditioning, dual-fuel heat pumps, and ice-powered AC units are just a few of the new technologies that are coming sooner than you might think.
A service department that doesn’t stay updated is soon going to find itself behind and struggling. That’s why continuing education should be important to techs and managers – and that’s where Interplay Learning’s online HVAC training is so essential. Either at the individual or organizational level, it’s a perfect way to make sure you and/or your team is up-to-speed and has the resources they need to stay on top of the game.
Whether you’re considering HVAC training to refresh your team’s skills, learn new techniques, or advance your personal career Interplay Learning has online HVAC courses that are a perfect fit.