Whether you’re confident in your basic HVAC knowledge and it’s time to step it up or you’ve been working in the field and want some reinforcement through refresher material, online HVAC training is the answer. These 3 advanced hvac training videos give you a great overview on what it can look like to get a head start on expanding your knowledge and moving your skills past the basics.
1. Residential A/C Troubleshooting
Working through residential A/C problems is a big part of any tech’s job, particularly in multi-family buildings. Common issues involve electrical and mechanical faults that can be both indoors and outdoors.
This Residential A/C Troubleshooting advanced HVAC training video course will guide techs through different field scenarios with simulations, challenges, and videos to help them learn how to troubleshoot and identify common problems. Techs can expect to focus on:
- Indoor Components: Thermostat, indoor fan relay, transformer, IFM capacitor, IFM open winding
- Outdoor Components : Potential relay, faulty contractor, dual run capacitor, start capacitor, faulty LPCO, faulty HPCO
- Mechanical Faults : Filer, undercharge, learn how to identify and fix an overcharged residential A/C system, restricted airflow
- Outdoor Major Loads – Compressor open winding, OFM open winding
Each section is followed by an assessment to determine your comprehension of the material.
What Skills Will You Gain?
By the end of this course, you’ll be able to efficiently:
- Troubleshoot problems with indoor HVAC components
- Troubleshoot issues with the indoor fan motor
2. Gas Boiler Troubleshooting
While it’s important to have a thorough knowledge of modern HVAC units, gas boilers are still common, especially in older multi-family buildings. The Gas Boiler Troubleshooting HVAC training video course walks learners through 20 common faults found in gas boiler units , including issues with the circulator, burner, gas valve, thermostat, and electrical problems.
Broken into two chapters, this course first focuses on the main components of gas boilers and then transitions into troubleshooting switches and relays. Each section is stacked with a ton of helpful, educational content and will teach techs:
- Recognize the signs of a faulty, or loosely wired circulator in a gas boiler
- Diagnose a faulty or loosely wired gas valve on a gas boiler
- Troubleshoot methods to diagnose a gas boiler equipped with a faulty vent damper
- Learn to identify the signs of a faulty, or loosely wired thermostat for a gas boiler heating system
Switches and Relays
- Recognize indications of trouble with the gas rollout switch
- Recognize problems with the high limit switch (loose wiring, faulty switch)
- Test and diagnose problems with the low water cutoff switch
- Troubleshoot a faulty spill switch
- Diagnose and repair issues with the relay
- Track down problems with the transformer
What Skills Will You Gain?
Each chapter includes simulations, challenges, and assessments with a final assessment and knowledge check. After completing this course, techs will be able to:
- Understand and recognize potential faults with the system’s main components
- Diagnose and repair common faults in a gas boiler system’s switches and relays
- Identify problems with the service switch in a gas boiler system
- Diagnose and remedy air in the lines or in a radiator
3. Heat Pump Troubleshooting (Residential)
While gas boilers were popular HVAC systems decades ago and can still be found in older homes and multi-family buildings, they are slowly being replaced with heat pumps. This is why it’s important for any tech to have a good understanding of heat pumps as design standards in the future may make these more efficient systems a requirement.
SkillMill’s Heat Pump Troubleshooting advanced HVAC training video course will walk you through problems with indoor components, outdoor components, mechanical faults and outdoor major loads. More specifically, techs will learn:
- How to diagnose a faulty auxiliary heat relay
- What to look for to identify a faulty electric heater
- How to troubleshoot a malfunctioning, residential heat pump system
- How to test a capacitor in order to diagnose an indoor fan motor with an open winding
- The steps to diagnose a faulty indoor fan relay and a loose wire on an indoor fan relay
- How to diagnose a faulty contactor
- The significance of frost on the outdoor coils
- How to test the defrost control board
- How to test the resistance of a potential relay and how it affects the compressor operation
- The components of mechanical errors and how to identify and troubleshoot them including, undercharge dirty filters, and restricted airflows
Outdoor Major Loads
- How to diagnose a faulty dual run compressor
- To test a residential heat pump system for a faulty start capacitor
- How to utilize resistance readings and load observations to diagnose a compressor with an open winding
What Skills Will You Gain?
At the end of this course, techs will have the ability to independently:
- Diagnose wiring problems or a faulty indoor fan relay in a heat pump system
- Recognize the signs of a bad or poorly-wired thermostat
- Diagnose common indoor or outdoor component issues
- Understand the causes of common mechanical faults in these systems
- Troubleshoot common faults with major outdoor loads
Easy Learning with SkillMill
HVAC systems are one of the main systems needed to keep multi-family buildings operational and comfortable for those residing there. As important as they are, it’s crucial to have knowledgeable techs that are able to perform maintenance on them effectively when needed.
With the SkillMill learning platform, new or experienced technicians can expand their HVAC knowledge and gain a better understanding of the system’s inner workings through interactive, online training. SkillMill’s one-of-a-kind courses offer video, 3D, and virtual reality (VR) simulation training by seasoned experts that give techs real-world experience in a safe, no-fail environment.
Advance your skills and knowledge anytime, anywhere.